These days, there just never seems to be enough hours on the clock. Endless commitments to the restless word outside spares little thought towards the primitive need for sleep.
However you’re finding the time to catch 40 winks on a busy schedule, there are some vital sleeping hacks you should definitely know about; especially if you’re searching for a more satisfying slumber. The hugely popular sleepwear company SMUG, who’ve been making dreams come true with their Contoured Blackout Sleep Masks, are here with 5 of their favourite tricks to a better night’s sleep:
1. Start a sleep ritual - Whether you’re turning in for the night, or just resting your eyes, creating habits in the approach to sleep will train your body to shut off naturally. Perhaps it’s taking a bath, or doing a set of stretches, always remember that the run-up to sleep is just as important as the sleep itself. This tip can be followed for napping too, just be sure that you’re aiming to rest at similar points throughout the day. Your body clock will thank you!
2. Shut it off, shut it out - Light and sleep don’t really mix, but unfortunately the world only ever seems to be getting brighter; especially during these summer months! The human body is remarkable, and will trigger an increased production of the sleep hormone melatonin within darker environments. Wherever you’re resting your head, make sure that it’s as dark and silent as possible for optimal sleep. This is best achieved with the use of a Blackout Sleep Mask and Memory Foam Earplugs - all available in SMUG’s online shop!
3. Get comfortable - Sleeping comfortably is so much more than just going to bed; in fact, it might just be our the most important feature on this list. As Goldilocks would have said, your sleeping environment needs to be “just right”, but should also take into account your own physical requirements. So do your research on the various types of hypoallergenic pillows if nighttime congestion is keeping you awake, and have a 1-on-1 chat with your mattress if your sore back is due an upgrade. It’s important to tailor the space for your individual needs.
4. You get out what you put in - The body is incredibly reactive to nutrients, and we should avoid the intake of high sugar and processed foods around bedtime; especially avoiding the intake of caffeine up to 3 to 4 hours before. However, remember that magic melatonin sleep hormone we mentioned in our second point? The good news is that this is actually a naturally occurring ingredient in particular foods, including almonds and walnuts, and can increase the blood levels of the hormone if eaten before light’s out, helping you to sleep much more soundly.
5. Keep it cool - Wherever you’re settling down, try to ensure that the room is kept at the right temperature. The perfect setting for perfect sleep is anywhere between 15°C and 19°C and will see that you’re much less likely to prove restless during your rest. Certain materials, such as silk, have proven highly efficient in whisking away unwanted temperatures, especially that of your emitted body heat - and this is exactly why SMUG have launched their very own line of Luxury Silk Sleep Masks!
Be sure to remember these next time your eyelids are feeling a bit heavy, and you won’t go far wrong from the most rewarding night’s sleep you’ve ever had!